Crispy Fish (Ca Chien) - with wilted greens
- 2lbs *white flesh sustainable fish (cod, tilapia, halibut, catfish, sole)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 100ml NUOC CHAM
- 1 tbsp finely minced ginger (looks like a lot, but the more the better!)
- 10 to 12 *pieces of whole baby bok choy (halved, washed well)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- as needed salt & pepper
- Combine NUOC CHAM with all of the minced ginger. Set aside.
- If cooking whole fish, cut 5 deep cuts into flesh on both sides, lightly season with salt. If a fillet, lightly season with salt. Choose either method below.
PAN FRY METHOD
- Preheat pan to medium/high, add enough oil to cover whole bottom, lightly coat entire fish with cornstarch, and gently lay into the hot oil. It should sizzle gently, cook for about 8 minutes each side or until golden brown. For the fillet, cook skin side down for 4 minutes first, and finish with flesh side in the pan for 2 min. Take out and rest on a plate.
- Remove excess oil from pan, add sesame oil, and toss in bok choy and 1 tbsp of NUOC CHAM. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the bok choy & Crispy fish hot with jasmine rice, any other recipes on our website, and the side of NUOC CHAM sauce spiked with the ginger. Enjoy!
OVEN BAKE METHOD
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly drizzle the whole fish with canola oil, put on pan, and bake for 14-16 minutes. If fillet, drizzle with a bit of canola oil, bake skin side up, 10-12 minutes (be careful not to dry out).
- Toss bok choy with sesame oil, and 1 tbsp NUOC CHAM. Bake for 5-7 minutes at 400F.
*Regardless of single fillet or whole fish…leaving the skin on will protect the fish during cooking, and will crisp up beautifully. Pan Fry Method is preferred.
*Bok Choy can be replaced by green beans, snow peas, zucchini, peppers, kale, or any other delicious green you choose.