Stir-Fry Beef w/ Watercress Salad
This Vietnamese classic dish is one of the simplest of all home cooked meals in Vietnam. It is also known as Butter Beef or Shaking Beef; this dish will be sure to your rattle your family's taste buds!
- 1 cup uncooked *jasmine rice, or crusty baguette/sourdough bread
- 6-8oz good quality beef flank, hanger, or flat iron (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed, rough chopped)
- 1 bunch watercress (washed & bite-size pieces)
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, or 2 roma (washed, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 red onion, or one small shallot (thinly sliced)
- 60ml NUOC CHAM
- Cook rice to package specifications. Be sure to rinse the rice well before cooking, and let rest with lid on for 10 min after cooked.
- Heat wok or frying pan on high heat. When just beginning to smoke, add a thin layer of oil and beef, cook for 15 seconds, add garlic and stir fry for another 10-15 seconds. Do not overcook.
- Place watercress on a serving plate with a little well in the middle for the cooked beef. Top watercress with tomato slices & onion slices. Add beef into the centre once cooked and serve immediately.
- Be sure to include in each bite watercress, tomato, onion, and beef slice into NUOC CHAM & enjoy with jasmine rice.