Spring Roll (Cha Gio)
An appetizer you can't go wrong with. Make enough for all your guests, and double the recipe; you won't be able to keep up with the demand!
- 1 pkg spring roll wrapper (aka egg roll wrapper)
- 400g ground pork, chicken, or veggie
- 2 cups shredded cabbage, blanched, squeezed dry
- 1 med carrot (grated fine)
- 1 clove garlic (finely crushed)
- 1 coin ginger finely crushed)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt (or fish sauce)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp flour (mix with enough cold water to make a pancake like batter)
- Mix all ingredients (except spring roll wrapper & flour) in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place wrapper in a diamond shape. Fold bottom corner up towards other corner, leaving about a 1″.
- Place tbsp of filling onto folded part, horizontally along the edge. Gently roll to centre of wrapper, fold in both left & right corner, finish rolling towards last corner. Spread enough flour/water mixture on top corner to “glue” the wrapper corner closed. Continue with all wrappers until all mixture is used up.
- Spring rolls can be fried immediately, or placed onto a pan to freeze separated. Once frozen, put into freezer bag until ready to use.
- Fry from frozen. Use within 4 months.